There is so much debate about what to eat post-workout. I’m about to help ya out.
Eat food. Real food.
No food products, bars, shakes, juices, drinks, gel packs. Just good ole fashioned nutrient-dense whole foods.
To fully maximize your hard work, you need to replace the amino acids and glycogen stores utilized during your workout. In other words, a comforting combination of protein and carbs, and a dash of fat for flavor. I got you.
Today I hit a PR (Personal Record) Back Squat of 170lbs. I’m very proud of my accomplishment, and equally proud of my post-fitness feast.
I opted for:
- Bison & Ahi Tuna as my double dose of protein. I went a lil wild here…like the tuna. Sorry, I’ll stop the puns now.
- Acorn squash as my nutrient-dense carbohydrate.
- Avocado as my fantastically satisfying fat.
Talk about comfort food. However, THIS comfort food will make you feel equally comfortable wearing, uh, hot pink briefs ala those pictured above
Getting up before the sun can be grueling…unless you take a moment to realize it is a gift.
I, too, rise with the sunrise. Think, there is so much to enjoy today, rather than there is so much to do today. Make your first “To Do,” to be grateful.
I am honored to featured in ACE Fitness‘ #StrongHer Campaign, for my lessons on how lifting weights can lift your mood.
Here are 10 ways strength training can exercise your emotional muscle:
- Harness Happiness: Strength training releases endorphins during and after you exercise similar to a runner’s high, but much more fierce.
- Skyrocket Self-Esteem: Strength training helps you achieve the most drastic and measurable results, helping to achieve improved body image, self-perception and sense of accomplishment. You’ll be proud of your progress AND you’ll impress your friends. Double score!
- Dedicate Yourself: A strength training lifestyle encourages you to dedicate yourself in many areas, such as nutrition and time-management. This sense of dedication and focus transfers into all aspects of your life, including your personal relationships. Strengthen your body; strengthen your relationships.
- Free Your Social Butterfly: The only thing more fun than strength training is strength training with a friend or partner. Also, there is such a tight-knit strength training community who will share common values and interests with you. Love your fellow lifters!
- Be the Energizer Bunny: Strength training leads to more strength, power, and endurance, which equals more energy!
- Give Yourself A Break From Your Brain: Although strength training requires focus, it gives your brain a break from the incessant intellectual thinking you endure all day.
- Strengthen Your Sleep: Strength training allows for a better sleep pattern to develop. It has been documented that those who train can sleep more deeply. Your body will need that quality sleep in order to repair, recover, and reap the benefits of all of your hard work. You earned it!
- Say Sayonara to Stress: I’ve already mentioned that strength training releases endorphins, which puts anxiety and depression in the doghouse. It also increases norepinephrine, which can boost your brain’s ability to cope with stress. Feeling stressed? Start squatting!
- Make Time For YOU: Make uninterrupted “you time” an essential part of your day. Do some cleans to clear your mind. Believe me, everyone will be better for it!
- Get Balanced: A stronger core means stronger balance, both physically and emotionally. When you are physically stronger to face the day’s natural obstacle course, your mind steps up to the plate. Starting each day with the “I got this” mindset is invaluable. Each day is a gift. Unwrap it, as the strongly balanced, beautiful being you are.
Grab life by the horns, and you may as well grab a really heavy kettlebell by the horns too. Strengthen your lust for life.
By Allison Hagendorf
Allison Hagendorf is the Official Host of Times Square New Year’s Eve, has hosted various shows on The CW, VH1, Fuse, The Cooking Channel, and hosted her own live talk show on SiriusXM guiding listeners through the realm of relationships and dating. When she is not hosting, Allison is Health Coaching. She works with clients one-on-one to find a healthful lifestyle that works solely for each individual and runs all of her wellness work & food & fitness tips through her site, www.FitToFeast.com. As an all-around jock, Allison grew up playing lacrosse and field hockey, ran the NYC Marathon twice, snowboards and pole dances, but now spends most of her time doing CrossFit. Most recently, Allison has begun MCing/commentating at CrossFit competitions, and enjoys deadlifts and dessert equally
What are you doing to kick off YOUR new month right?
Have you set your SMART Goal? (Specific Measurable Attainable Relevant Time-Bound)
Have you begun meal-planning?
Do you have your fitness plan in place?
How are you keeping track of your progress?
My Fall clients are off to an amazing start. Let me help you begin yours before we Fall back into bad habits. (Thank you for going with my pun there)
Coffee makes me a better person. No, really, it does.
But not all coffee is created equal. I am talking, specifically, about the beauty of cold brew iced coffee.
Oh, you mean coffee poured over ice? Haaaayle no. That is a mere bastardization of what I am about to bestow upon you as a valuable life lesson. This is where my Pre-Med/Biology BS Degree comes in
I present to you, the concept of cold brew or cold press iced coffee. It is coffee that was never hot. It steeps or soaks in room temp or cold water for an extended period. Because the coffee beans in cold-press never come into contact with heated water, the process of leaching flavor from the beans produces a different chemical profile than conventional brewing methods.
The result? A smoother, naturally sweeter, rounder coffee experience with 67% less acidity, making it a better option for both your digestive tract and teeth!
My pick? As a cold brew connoisseur, I can tell you with authority that New York’s Birch Coffee, is hands down the best. It is a Brazilian/Honduran Farm To Cup blend, and it is simply spectacular. I am so bound to this brew that I have their cold brew beans shipped to me in LA and I cold brew them myself with my at-home apparatus from Filtron.
Not that hardcore? I understand. I was born this way, and don’t really have a say in my own crazy commitment to quality coffee.
Do yourself a favor and find which local coffee shops offer cold brew iced coffee. Otherwise certain grocery stores like Whole Foods and Fairway sell bottled cold brew where you’d find cold drinks. Two brands I love are Seaworth Coffee Co. and Chameleon Cold-Brew.
So trust me, and grab yourself a cold one. You’ll be better for it.
16 Teams. 96 Athletes. 1 Sport…CROSSFIT!
I am honored to be hosting today’s Project Mayhem: Battle Of The Boxes. 16 teams from across Southern California will be pushed to their limits, as we get to observe both their prowess AND 360° views of Hollywood and Downtown LA at the famous Sunset Gower Studios. It’s going to be a beast of a battle. Come join! #YouveBeenWarned
I love pancakes. I mean, who doesn’t. I make them from scratch on the regular…and I don’t stop there. I’m what you call, a pancake pioneer. Ok fine, only I call myself that. I create different pancake permutations on the fly and then I brainstorm ways to incorporate my pancakes into different meals.
Enter, my bison date burger. Instead of a bun, I sandwich my sirloin in between two of my perfect paleo pancakes doused in 100% Organic Grade B Maple Syrup. Why? Because I’m an innovator…and this combination creates a true breakfast of champions.
Why Bison? It’s my preference to beef. It is leaner, cleaner, is higher in Omega-3s, antioxidants, Vitamin E & Selenium, AND has a sweeter taste. Throw some chopped dates into the patty and prepare for a perfectly sweet symbiosis between my pancakes and syrup. THIS is why I rarely go out for brunch.
Why Grade B Maple Syrup? It’s the real deal. Produced late in the season, Grade B Maple has the most robust flavor of all the syrups, meaning you need to use less for that full flavor. Plus, Grade B has more antioxidants and minerals than some of the other varieties. Most importantly, just make sure you are using 100% Pure Maple Syrup and NOT a maple-flavored pancake syrup instead. Use the real stuff and make it count!
Why Bison, Pancakes, & Maple Syrup Together? Because I am the queen of concoctions and I’ve consumed what no man or woman has consumed before.
Embrace your inner pancake pioneer. I believe in you.
HAPPY NATIONAL PANCAKE DAY!
Ah, it’s officially Fall, which is synonymous with pumpkin, uh, EVERYTHING. I am here to make sure that you can consume delicious pumpkin pleasures, without turning into a pumpkin yourself
Fortunately, I am now accepting new clients for the Autumnal Season (I just wanted to impress you with my use of “Autumnal”).
Sign up here so we can get you on track as we cruise into the colder months. Remember rocking big sweaters, doesn’t need to mean rocking a bigger you.
Let’s get you fit and focused, so you can eat that pumpkin pie with pride. And btw here’s your recipe for a grainless, gluten-free pie.
I got you,
Health Coach Hagendorf XO
My name is Allison Hagendorf and I’m a Java Junkie. I jones for Joe, and I brew my own cold brew iced coffee with an at-home apparatus. Shout out Birch Coffee.
I now live in LA, but when I’m back in the brisk, bold Fall weather of NY, and I’m about to hop on a subway, ya just need to grab a cup of good ole Dunkin Donuts. I’m what you call a locavore. I eat & drink whatever the locals eat & drink. In NY, we rock the Dunkin.
I was proud to post my passion for my hot cup of hazelnut, and was rewarded by requited love from her majesty, Dunkin Donuts. Apparently they stay abreast of my brew banter on FitToFeast, and on instagram. I am truly flattered…and very caffeinated at the moment I must admit.
I know a location just opened in LA, but like I said, I’m a locavore. LA peeps don’t do the Dunkin’ like New Yorkers. I’ll stick to my own home brew there instead. Stay tuned…you know I’ll have my own FitToFeast blend in just a matter of time.
Coffee Makes Me A Better Person,
"Most women spend their money on stilettos. I spend mine on steak." ~Allison Hagendorf